Monitor National Marine Sanctuary regulations are codified in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) at Title 15 - Commerce and Foreign Trade, Part 922. Office of National Marine Sanctuaries regulations that are generally applicable to all sanctuary sites are found at Title 15, Subtitle B, Chapter IX, Subchapter B, Part, 922, Subparts A through E.
Monitor National Marine Sanctuary Regulations
The wreck of the USS Monitor is valuable for its cultural, historical, educational, and recreational qualities. By regulating the type and scope of use of sanctuary resources, the sanctuary's management strives to maintain open access while protecting, preserving, and managing the resources in order to ensure their health, integrity, and continued availability for current and future generations.
Regulations are enforced by various federal agencies, including NOAA's Office of Law Enforcement and the U.S. Coast Guard. In addition, the sanctuary relies on citizen reporting and public education for voluntary compliance.
Monitor National Marine Sanctuary regulations prohibit the following activities without a permit:
- Anchoring in any manner, stopping, remaining, and drifting without power at any time;
- Conducting subsurface salvage or recovery operations;
- Diving by individual or submersible;
- Lowering below the water any grappling, suction, conveyor, dredging, or wrecking device;
- Detonating underwater any explosive;
- Drilling or coring the seabed;
- Lowering, laying, or raising seabed cable;
- Trawling; or
- Discharging waste material into the water in violation of federal law.
Anyone may conduct the activities above with a permit. No permit is necessary to conduct an activity immediately necessary for the protection of life, property, or the environment.
For more information, contact the sanctuary permit coordinator.
- Monitor National Marine Sanctuary current regulations including the boundary, prohibited activities, and permit procedure
- National Marine Sanctuary System regulations of general applicability
- Authorization to Issue Regulations, NMSA § 1439
- Clarification of Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act Regulation Regarding Monitor National Marine Sanctuary; Final Rulemaking